What is White Hat SEO?
These are the techniques that will get you found by the search engines. White Hat SEO is all totally above board. It is what the Search Engine algorithms look for. The techniques found in White Hat SEO will help you for many years to come. There is no need to worry about the next Panda or Penguin update, these will actually help your efforts to be found if you are using White Hat techniques. You may be asking yourself, where can I learn White Hat SEO?
What are the main points of White Hat SEO?
- The key to White Hat SEO is natural linking.
- You are writing for your audience not the search engines.
- You reach your audience through organic search terms.
- Keywords and LSI terms are used to help the Search Engines understand your content.
- Internal and external links go to relevant pages, posts or other sites.
- Add alt tags to all of your images.
- Use a Responsive theme, this makes your site available to mobile and tablet devices. With the advent of smart phones, a significant portion of your traffic will arrive by these devices.
What is Black Hat SEO?
Anything that you do to try to get unnatural rankings in the search engines are classified as Blackhat SEO. The biggest offender is buying backlinks. This will generate many links to your site, but they won’t be relevant to the topic of your site. Google sees this and devalues the site rankings. Another Blackhat Technique is article spinning. This is taking one article and running it through a synonym generator to create another article on the same topic with different wording. Article Spinners are a big no-no on today’s internet.
What does Black Hat SEO Look Like?
- Purchased backlinks that are not relevant to the topic of your site.
- Keyword stuffing. Adding keywords to your site that are not relevant to the topic.
- Invisible text. Creating text on your page that is the same color as the background. This provides different experiences for the webcrawlers and the users of the site.
- Doorways or Gateway pages. These are pages that the user never sees but are designed specifically for the search engine spiders. They are usually filled with keywords that rank highly in the search engines. Then after extracting the rank, they redirect the user to another page. The Gateway page is not typically seen by the user, only the spiders view this page.
Many of the paid “SEO Experts” that are available on the web use Black Hat techniques. For some it is just because these were techniques that were at one time useful to help your pages to rank and they just haven’t kept up with the times.
Others are out to get as much exposure to their sites as possible and hope that Google doesn’t catch them at their game. They think nothing of abandoning a site if this happens. These folks are in the game to grab a quick buck and then move on to the next big thing.
If you want to have a site that provides good value for your readers and are in it for the long term benefits, stick with White Hat SEO techniques. Do your keyword research, write good quality content that will keep your readers engaged and do everything you can to provide a good experience for your human visitors. These will pay off in the long term.
White or Black Hat SEO| Which Will You Choose?
I hope you choose to wear a White Hat when doing your SEO. When looking for SEO online, you will find many players out there. It pays to do your due diligence when searching for a good SEO. Learning which SEO techniques are most effective will help you to determine if the company you hire will do a good long term job for you or if they are pumping and dumping your SEO efforts.
Should you decide that you want to learn to do your own SEO, Wealthy Affiliate will provide you with top notch training. We use only White Hat SEO techniques at Wealthy Affiliate. You can even get started for free. Join the community, learn the right way to get found online!